Diabetes is not something to take lightly. As it pertains to foot care, diabetics must particularly pay attention and care for their feet routinely to avoid infections and discomfort.
Blood flow and sensitivity can be greatly reduced in the feet of diabetics and this is why it is important for pedicurist to know proper protocol when servicing diabetic clients.
Due to the lack of sensation in some diabetics, they are less likely to feel pain in their extremities depending on the severity of their condition. When servicing a diabetic client make sure to pay attention to these important factors.
1. Make sure the water is not to hot when preparing a foot bath. Luke warm should suffice.
2.Avoid using anything that will scratch or tear the skin; like scrubs and razor pedi files. Fine textured pedicure scrubs that are less abrasive can be safely used.
3. Use disposable files whenever possible to avoid cross contamination
4. Limit the use of cuticle nippers to lessen the chances of cutting or nicking the client. Only experienced Pedicurist and Nail Techs should use cuticle nippers.
5. Ensure that your implements are cleaned with Bleach or a Hospital Grade disinfectant
6. Wear gloves when doing a pedicure appointment
7. Keep the toenails trimmed short and rounded on the sides
8. For calluses use solvents instead of anything sharp to remove hard skin on the feet, make sure to soak the feet very well in water-this will help the solvent to penetrate better into the the skin for easier removal of calluses.
9. Ensure that the client has information on how to keep their feet clean and well moisturized to help avoid cracks and fissures which can lead to possible infections.
From Me To U Essentials
Everything You Need To Know To Become A Traveling Pedicurist: A Simple and Easy To Read Reference Guide For Pedicurist and Industry Professionals: Kindle Edition
Purchase on Amazon:
Sign Up For Square to Redeem Your Free Processing Offer!